Saturday, September 17, 2016

Jo's Birthday Blog Hop

2002: Jo was 36.  This was a major life-changing year for Jo.  She left her job of 17 years to become a Mum.  Her first child was born, a mere four weeks late, in September a week after Jo's 36th Birthday.  Weighing in at 8lbs 3oz he was a happy, healthy baby boy.  Soon after he was born Jo realised that life as a single parent was not compatible with a long commute to the city and told her employer she would not return to work at the end of her maternity leave.  In the months up until September Jo managed a lot of stitching including most of a large Noah's Ark design for the Nursery.  In the months after, she managed two hours a week when she went to her parents' house for Sunday dinner.

When I was 36, things were fairly tranquil ... or as tranquil as they can be for a stay-at-home mom with three children: Angela [age 7], Sean [age 4] and Danny [age 2].  I did the whole earth mother deal, baling my own bread, making my own yogurt, raising my own vegetables, shopping at the not-so-local organic food co-op.  I sewed most of my daughter's clothes.  I made quilts and crocheted afghans for the beds.  And I struggled to budget my husband's salary so I could afford to stay home and still meet the mortgage.

As to posting a photo of something Jo would like:

.




my most recent Primitive Needle's stitch: Witches Hollow.













.



My very first Primitive Needle's stitch: A Night of Revelry [from an old JCS issue].









.




Homespun Elegance's Witches Stitch, Too.

8 comments:

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Thanks for taking part in the Birthday Blog Hop. It's not easy raising children on a budget but I don't think it does them any harm! They learnt to appreciate what they do have.
I love the stitching you have chosen for me; three great spooky designs.

Bea said...

Great post and perfect pictures for Jo.

Julie said...

A lovely post to celebrate Jo's big birthday, I enjoyed reading it. Great stitching you chose to help her celebrate,

Stitching Noni said...

Great post! Love your spooky designs :o)
Hugs xx

Melinda Forbes said...

Thank you sharing - I am amazed at all the things you did, I don't think I would have been able to. I love your Witches!

Katie said...

I'm hopping along on the blog hop. What a great post. Thanks for sharing. Love your Halloween stitching.

Tiffstitch said...

Great post and good to learn about you and Jo too. Great Halloween finishes!

Elfie said...

I am slowly hopping through the birthday blog posts. I enjoyed reading your very interesting post. This is such a nice thing to be involved in.